A Love Letter in a Cup

A Love Letter in a Cup
Photo by Laura Briggs

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

August Reading

 I read some really good books in August, which cannot be said of every month. I would definitely revisit a few of these in the future, and am hoping that my "good book" streak does not end come September.

43317482
Goodreads.com

I read this book in two days, partially because it's not very long, but mostly because it is just so good. The format is a little different - short chapters that describe "Dream House as ...", and then go into that specific style. The plot circulates the relationship between the author and "the woman in the Dream House", bringing to light an abusive and manipulative relationship between two women. Even though I may be a little biased because Machado lives in West Philly with her wife, this is truly one of a kind.

7824322
Goodreads.com

Though I mentioned this book before, I just completed it over the past month. It reads beautifully and the ending comes to a lovely conclusion. Based off true events, I learned about a part of pre-WWII that I'd never known before, and in the eyes of a fifteen year old girl, the events play differently than they would as a series of facts. I can see myself returning to this story in the future as well.

33606119
Goodreads.com

I began too many race-related texts at once, but this is the first I completed. I really liked the memoir feel of this, as it made it a little bit easier to read than books that are jam packed with facts and figures. It is concise and informative, and great to read to get yourself thinking. The author mainly writes about England, but the themes apply to the US just the same.

5886881
Goodreads.com

Even knowing how this mystery is solved, I would read this book again. It's dark and twisty and everything you expect to have from Gillian Flynn. Libby Day, the unlikable protagonist, is the only survivor of a slaughter (can it be a slaughter if it's only 3 people?) from when she was young. Now in present day, she is trying to firm up what actually happened that night. The chapters jump around in time and perspective, and I flew through it. I also love how a majority of the story takes place in 1985 Kansas.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
Goodreads.com
 
This is clearly geared towards young, teenage boys, as the narrator is that of a 6th grader. I had heard about the series due to its popularity and movie, and thought it would be worth checking out. The story held up, but at this point in my life, I feel like there are so many other fantasy novels that better hold my attention. I really like the Greek mythology angle and maybe would have gotten more out of this if I had read it rather than listened to the audiobook.

No comments:

Post a Comment