A Love Letter in a Cup

A Love Letter in a Cup
Photo by Laura Briggs

Thursday, August 20, 2020

The Bathroom Should Be Inviting

 

My little bathroom in my tiny apartment has two different overhead lights, and both are super unflattering. One has a weird yellow tone reminiscent of an old, last-resort motel, and the other is too white like a corporate building. Generally, the vibe is yet another reminder of how necessary a toilet/shower/sink are instead of feeling like a decorated room that matches the rest of our home. To change it into a space that didn't need to be covered up as much as possible, I added a few simple things that (warning: getting punny here) elevated the crap out of it.

Dried flowers in a bud vase gave the otherwise bland walls some color. The petals here gave the room life in a space that otherwise is full of inorganic elements (ie. soap, ceramics, cloth). I have been purchasing fresh flowers from Trader Joe's on my biweekly visits, and subsequently drying my favorites to add to the bathroom. Also, adding gifted flowers from special occasions allows me to appreciate the thoughtfulness of loved ones for much longer than the flowers can survive in a wet vase.

Baskets once were the bane of my existence. I had too many in awkwardly small sizes, bulky shapes, or materials that would fall apart. Yet, I couldn't just give away handmade, sentimental baskets to Goodwill. Once I realized that they could be used in the bathroom, I have now added four into a 5' space. Hiding their contents, the baskets match but are different enough to look interesting. They also serve as a perfect catch all for menstruation products, first aid, and lotions. 

Magazines and reading material placed in said baskets really elevated the welcome feeling of my bathroom. One of my favorite cold opens on Parks and Rec is when Anne takes Leslie through a quick tour of Tom's house. She notes how it is wrought with amenities. Clearly, this has stuck with me. I have magazines, a candle (with prettily packaged matches), lotion, and an artsy soap dish. I know I'm far from a Tom Haverford approved bathroom, but it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment