A Love Letter in a Cup

A Love Letter in a Cup
Photo by Laura Briggs

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

New Discoveries

Recently, I have made some new discoveries. They're new to me -- not the world. I have a good 2-10 year lag behind everyone else. So that means if you are not aware of the beauty, convenience, and enjoyment of the following, get with it. I finally got with it, and am better for it.

Using my credit union's spending tracker
Why have I been spending an incalculable amount of time adding up my spending, categorizing it, comparing various months, seasons, years? There is a little place to click and have it given straight to me, broken down into pie charts with different colors. It dates back 4 years, so I can properly over-investigate and return to 2017 whenever I want to.
 
Wearing blue light glasses
I had a pink eye scare. Turns out, my cornea was just super dry from spending a long ass time on my laptop and phone, while working from home and reading books off the Libby app. My laptop cannot change to a warmer-colored background, so I invested $2 on American Eagle sale glasses. They seem to be working, as now I only feel abstract discomforts.
 
Using a mousepad
In the office, I use a pad of paper underneath my mouse. The top page routinely becomes ripped and the edges turned up, stopping the mouse as I slide it along. After working from home, dog fur lodged itself into the sensor on the mouse, and I would go fishing for it with a sharpened pencil. Now, I have a wonderful little (actual) mousepad that keeps the fur out of my mouse and is personalized with a family photo. It shows Otis at his most Porg-iest, and never fails to bring a smile to my face.
 
Following online yoga videos
There are oh so many reasons why these are wonderful. I can stay in my house, wear whatever clothes I want (or just not wear any), and only do a portion of the video if that's what I feel like. It is really nice to have the ambiance and supplies at the studio, but setting up my own candles, music, and lighting beforehand really helps get in the stretchy mood.
 
Buying Mike's Harder Lemonades
Available on GoPuff as single pints for $1.99, they are tasty and cheap. As opposed to the original, I can achieve the perfect buzz I'm looking for with just one. And they satisfy my never-ending craving for lemonade.
 
Writing everyday
I almost always have a swirl of thoughts, memories, and fictionalized situations in my head, which means I easily end up overwhelmed and in a quick downward spiral with a tightened chest. In short, I have a lot of anxiety. Instead of waiting to cope with my anxieties when they become undeniable (always too late), doing little things frequently can keep the tide from reaching drowning levels. I thought I wouldn't have enough to write about everyday, much like I always think I won't have enough to talk to my therapist about. I am repeatedly proving myself wrong on both accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment