A Love Letter in a Cup

A Love Letter in a Cup
Photo by Laura Briggs

Thursday, August 13, 2020

July Reading

 I didn't finish a single book in June, further disappointing myself on top of all the other tasks I failed to accomplish. So, I was very proud to have finished three books in July. Even though I'd started them earlier in the year, it felt real good to complete them.

41088575
Goodreads.com
The beginning was slow reading, with long descriptions and vague references that I had to keep looking up on the internet to decipher. While I consider myself culturally unaware, I think it still would have taken a little searching to figure it all out. Once I resigned myself to reading without fully understanding every sentence, the story read more quickly. About halfway through I began to lose interest. Some plot lines dragged on a bit, and at points the book skipped ahead years within a chapter or two. It seemed like too much detail was given to newer characters without fleshing out the original ones. The ending was also abrupt, but I honestly have no idea how the book could have ended in a different way. With such a long story, eventually it has to just...end.
 
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Goodreads.com
When it comes to reading Harry Potter, there's only a few groups of people: the super re-readers, the have-read-series-once, the want-to-read-series, and the no-interest. Basically, no need for me to describe it in depth to you. I really liked the Winky and SPEW storyline, especially since it's cut out of the movie. And Cedric's death is given a comical lack of drama -- Harry just hazily sees the curse and, oh, he's dead now. Gotta drag a body.
 
40961427. sx318
Goodreads.com
 
Though I should have gotten to this before now, reading this in the current climate gives it a horrifying twinge I never would have experienced has I read this back in 2009. The fear of surveillance, exploitation of people of color, and rewriting history to benefit those in power hit differently in a time where trusting government or corporations is simply laughable.


No comments:

Post a Comment