A Love Letter in a Cup

A Love Letter in a Cup
Photo by Laura Briggs

Saturday, May 30, 2020

May Reading

At the end of each month, I will make a post about the books I've been reading. Through May, I have begun quite a few new titles and returned to others I never finished.

Abel's Island
Goodreads.com
I have owned this book for a very long time, and finally picked it up. It's a quick, endearing sory story about a cast away mouse with adorable illustrations. Definitely recommend if you like children's literature.


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
Goodreads.com
Since I am reading through the Harry Potter series for the first time, I am flying through it. I saw the movie for this book when it was in theaters, so it holds a special place in my heart. The series is absolutely exceeding my expectations.


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Goodreads.com
Since completing Prisoner of Azkaban, obviously I immediately began the next book. I have only seen the first four movies, so I know the big plot points here but am excited to get into those deets.


Doxology
Goodreads.com
This book was difficult to get into at first with loads of thick sentences. Most of the references were lost on me, but I got through it with some time on Wikipedia. The story picked up and goes in a (mostly) chronological order and it became more enticing to read. I am reading it on the Libby app and have not completed it yet.

Pleasure Activism: The Politics of Feeling Good
Goodreads.com
This non-fiction book reads like a manifesto, as a collection of essays and interviews. As a queer black woman, Brown discusses how to fully seek and consume pleasure--or at least I think because some parts are confusing for someone (me) who has no prior knowledge on the subject. I am also partway through this one, but certainly am already more informed.


Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
Goodreads.com

The first in the series, this YA novel is a quick read. As a dystopic fantasy with mostly short chapters, I have been flying through it and am already anticipating reading the rest of the series. The narrator-protagonist occasionally has repetitive or predictable thoughts, but the story takes some turns I had not anticipated. It's possible that these plot twists are written on the book jacket, but I haven't seen it.


The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
Goodreads.com
I first read Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin and loved it, so I figured it was time to go back to her original personal development book. She outlines a year-long experiment to take her life from mediocre to 'happier'. It lends itself to slow reading, since it breaks itself into small sections easily. I also just want to savor every bit.


Between Shades of Gray
Goodreads.com
This is about as far from the erotic Grey series as you can get. Taking place in 1941, the novel details the Russian military abducting 'outspoken' Eastern European families to labor camps and Siberia. In the voice of teenage Lina, this story moves both temporally and emotionally. The chapters are really short and it is so easy to just keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment